Saturday, June 8, 2013

Crisis averted: AFTERSHOCK

Wow. I'm still feeling a little melancholy today. Yesterday I had a scare that Cocoa was foundering. After we found out he was just being sassy/naughty, I felt much better. But after getting back to work, then home, then getting home from a housewarming party we stopped at... I felt so emotionally DRAINED. I would even say borderline sad, even though I had every reason to be elated that my boy is ok. I think it was a bit of worry - and I know I can't do that. God is in control, but I continue to pray and pray and pray for him to keep my boy safe and healthy for me. I want Cocoa to be with me until we're both too old to do stuff anymore. ;)

So what happened? Well, on my way to work Cheryl called and asked if she could tack up Cocoa and give Dan & Jessie's nephews a pony ride in the round pen. Said Gus & Texas were too tall for her to be throwing them up there. :) I get it. :) At first I thought she asked if she could PACK him up, like she was going to take him somewhere. Once I figured out she said tack and not pack, I understood. :) So of course I said yes. Well, later in the morning she goes to saddle him up, and he does this funky sit-back thing, and goes over on to his left side while being tied. First thing she thought - FOUNDER. He wanted the pressure off of his front feet. Down he went with the saddle on, making kind of a mess of the saddle. One stirrup is completely bent to heck, and there are a few scuffs and scratches. Not broken, though. :) Anyway, I called Dr. Mary, left work to go to Cocoa, and had Al meet me there. When we got there he looked fine, other than a cut on his front and rear legs which Cheryl helped me clean and treat. After talking with Dr. Mary, we determined he wasn't showing any other symptoms of founder - refusing to walk, or walking like he was on eggshells, refusing to eat (didn't have that problem AT ALL), and the area around his hooves being warm. So, I got back to work for a few hours and checked on him later. Oh. Em. Gee. All the way to Cheryl's I just kept praying and praying and praying and praying to God that he was not foundering. If he would have and I couldn't ever ride him again, it wouldn't change how much I love him, and I would NEVER part with him! But, it made me sad to think of it because of how he is THE one that is perfect for me to ride. And, with the little bit of riding I do, it's hard to find a pony that you can trust like I trust him. Thankfully, those are all things I don't have to think about now. :)

So Cheryl felt awful and apologized, and offered to buy me a new saddle. Aw heck, it's just "stuff". So it's not "brand new" anymore... it's not like it was a show saddle, or that it's unusable or something. So no way. It's going to be just fine! The ONLY thing that matters is that Cocoa is ok. Thank you GOD (looking up and smiling with a grateful heart).

Well, I better get going. Gotta get my 1.5 mile walk in with Missy, then go buy some "in-between" pants that fit for the time being, until I get in to an even SMALLER size! Yay! Then it's off to check on and hang out with and love on my Cocoa!!! A great day indeed! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment