Sunday, August 17, 2014

Summer in the saddle :)

I think, other than the summer when Al and I rode Leah and CeCe together, that this is the most I've ridden! Maybe I rode Brandi as much, but definitely not as confidently, and not as much outside or out on the trails. Yesterday on a whim I met up with Sue and Jackie, and we rode some trails around the farm after a brief warm-up in the outdoor arena. Cocoa and I trotted a lap in the arena, and boy, are we ever getting GOOD at it!!! I actually am ENJOYING it! I hope to go up and do some today, too. Anyway, we rode around the pastures and everyone did really well. The most exciting part was when we went up the hill and came back down. Jackie had already left by then, so it was just Sue and I with Pepsi and Cocoa. They did great, and it was great fun. I had a couple of moments where I could have been fearful, but reminded myself that I need to be confident for Cokes. He's feeling it, for sure. He's such a brave and willing little guy. :) After we left Sue, we walked down to the barn where we tack up, and he did so well that I just didn't even want to get off!! So I walked him a little ways up the driveway. When I'm on the ground I'll walk him that way, and he gets a little unsure because of all the plants, etc. lining the drive, and I think because the ducks and chickens tend to hang out in that area a lot. Anyway, we walked up to the concrete pad, where he wanted to stop. I nudged him on just a tiny bit so we could go forward one step then turn around and head back. He did that really well and we ended on such a good note!

I untacked, gave him his treats, and took him back out by Kimi. Then I spent about 15 minutes just petting/rubbing Kimi. She was loving it! She is such a sweetheart, I just love her. I told Al that if Jackie ever decides to part with Kimi, that I want to buy her. To have those two as my own would be a dream come true. :) But, it's also a dream come true to have Jackie and Kimi as a part of our lives!!

I'm so happy my confidence is growing. Lessons every week with Ute has been a Godsend, no doubt. The consistency, and the learning that I do with her is amazing! This past week we did our lesson on the trail. She walked on the ground with us, which was good because she could keep him going when my confidence wavered. We walked out to Alpine Road, then down Alpine to Beaver Dam and back in to the farm. He was very alert and a little nervous on Alpine. He kept looking from left to right like something was going to jump out of the woods. Ute told me that's when I have to get him walking forward with a purpose so that his focus is on me, and he doesn't have time to think about other things. That reminds me very much of what Clinton Anderson says, too. And she also reminded me that it's important that I stay in the leadership role there because otherwise how can he feel confident about what we're doing? I get it, I just have to do it and remind myself that if I'M not afraid of anything, then Cocoa doesn't need to be, either. So, just as I was afraid to trot and now I am not, I need to practice being the leader and not being afraid. I know I can do it - all it takes is practice. And there is no substitute for EXPERIENCE, so I just have to DO IT. What's great about Cokes is that he's solid, and he's not going to do anything stupid. I'm over the "Oh my God, what is he going to do" thing that I was feeling, and that is fantastic. Even when he has spooked, he just flinches and stands. I can handle that!! :) And, I know I'm not going to fall off and that helps my confidence a ton. I don't know why I got it in my head that I would - it's not like I've had it happen. I try to hard to not live by the "what ifs" in life, and this is one area where a person can have a lot of what ifs. Well, then you might as well not even ride. Yes, there is some risk involved, but there is also risk involved in walking down the street, driving a car, being in a public place. And that's not going to stop me. :) I love being at Countryview, and with the people I've met there. They're all so encouraging!

Well, I've been thinking about getting my butt moving and going out to do a short ride, so I guess I better get crackin'. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment