Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Why is everyone so jumpy!?

I just took a drink out of my plastic water bottle, and it made the crackle noise which sent Daisy just about flying! Sheesh! Ironic? Yes. Because I just came back from a lesson with Brandi where we were working on her spookiness (or jumpiness). But Brandi jumping can be a lot more dangerous than Daisy - so that soo needs to get fixed.

'Twas a good lesson. I, once again, found myself wanting to watch Tracy do everything rather than do it myself. I felt safer that way, and I know Tracy knows what she's doing and won't get hurt. But seriously, what good does that do me? So when she called me over to take the reins (haha!) while Brandi was spooking and being jumpy, for a split second I froze, then reminded myself that I. HAD. TO. DO. IT. If I didn't, how would it ever get better? Stepping right through my comfort zone, I walked over and grabbed those reins. Albeit I had the training stick just about horizontal and in her face to make sure she didn't even THINK about running me over. :) Hey, it worked in that moment, and no one got hurt.

So a few things happened. Brandi spooked in the outdoor when we got near a cluster of bushes. She was quite unsure about what might be in there, or what might come out of there. Add to that two large Dobermans playing quite roughly, and we had a slightly nervous horse on our hands. Not horrible by any means - even I, in my sheltered experiences, have seen a horse act way worse than she was. She was nervous, yes, but all I needed to do was KEEP HER OFF OF ME. That's it! Dang, that's pretty simple, hey? Well, yes!

Funny thing - things seem so scary and complicated, until you learn the right thing to do and see just how easy it is to do it. It just takes some practice, some confidence, and remembering to pray. And remembering that I need to do it, then do it again, and do it again, and do it again, and do it again. CONSISTENCY IS KEY.

I am going to do two lessons a week for a spell, and one day by myself. Things to remember that Tracy has taught me: Set myself up for SUCCESS. Do what I'm comfortable with. When I succeed at that, move forward but don't feel like I have to do everything in a hurry. DON'T PUSH, and REWARD when she gives me a try.

Brandi is a great little horse. We've bonded, and I am starting to see her heart - she's letting me in. She gives me good honest tries... she really does. I mean, we have done that whole obstacle course numerous times - not everyone can do that! She still tries to be a little pushy, but we are both getting better at that whole situation. :) She's special, and with time, I do believe we will be a great parntership... God willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment