So I met Bella. Totally cute, awesome size. But she is not THE ONE. I'm so glad I prepared myself. She was a good little pony - had some pretty good training. Definitely broke. But SASSY. The girl lunged the heck out of her before getting on, because she hadn't been ridden in three weeks. Then she did everything that was asked of her pretty well. I got on, and I instantly tensed up, and the girl saw it. She helped me relax - I'm pretty sure she's given lessons. She was super sweet, and so very patient. I think outside of a horse-selling relationship, we might be friends! :) But I just didn't feel it with Bella. Interestingly, the girl was able to point out why Bella was acting so sassy with me. My reins weren't even at one point, and at another point I wasn't giving enough release to pressure quick enough, and at ANOTHER point, my leg was in contact with her which was confusing her. SHEESH. I thought I was a better rider than that!
So Bella out of the question now, I do question my own abilities. Really!? Do I get down on myself about messing up CeCe, and totally confusing my poor Leah? I don't know!!!! Am I way worse at this than I thought?? I dunno, Cheryl has never taken lessons, nor has Nicki, and they seem to do just fine. Maybe part of it is that they don't feel fear like I do? I know Cheryl doesn't. OK, I know I shouldn't compare myself to anyone else, but really. How do kids ride successfully then? Is this a sign that I just shouldn't be involved with horses? More praying!
After I dropped Jill off from meeting Bella, I went over by Freckles. Again, she was a sweetie. Easy to catch, calm demeanor, she really reminded me of Leah last night. She stood wonderfully for me as I groomed her. No attitude, and she let me dote on her. LOVED IT! So I took her in the round pen to do some light lunging, figuring OK if I'm going to ride this horse, I should give her a little conditioning beforehand, and myself too. She lunged great, except when I asked her for a canter she didn't do it easily. I saw why after a bit of cantering. She was limping. :( OH NO. So I stopped, but I was sad that after lunging when I came up to her, she felt like she had to take off again. I so badly want to find that balance of "I will ask you to work, but I will love you to pieces". I guess, how do I expect that after two days!?!? Some continued contact with her will be good. She has the sane quiet mind of Leah, I hope she's as forgiving under saddle. BUT, dilemma. How do I tell Cheryl/Stacy that she's limping, and not have them think it's my fault? Ugh. :( And even if they don't think it's my fault, what if they don't have the vet out? Do I even attempt to ride poor Frecks with a lameness issue? No way! So am I stuck again? I guess, this is really not about me at this point, right? Maybe this is the sign to remind me that I do NOT want to contend with vet bills and farrier bills, etc. anymore.
Ugh. I want to write more. I have to write about pretty little Sambra. But not right now. I'll be baaaaaaack! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment