Thursday, October 6, 2011

A different perspective

So this morning after reading my daily devotionals, I had some thoughts. Thoughts about why I am always so fearful of things, and tend to think the worst outcome of a situation rather than enjoying the moment I'm in. For instance, when I walk the horses up to the arena, I try to do it with confidence, but instead I think my adrenaline is running so high that I'm more anxious than I am confident. I know they can sense that. I want to show them that I'm a good leader, but I think instead I am giving them reason to think "well, what's all the excitement about?!" Probably not a good way to start our time together.

But then I started thinking about all of the times I had dumb courage, and all of the times God brought me through, white as a lamb. I did some really stupid things in the past, took some really risky chances and came through them OK. If I now sit and think of doing those things, I think they are probably things you'd see on 20/20 where the person didn't fair so well. So, if God brought me through those things unscathed, why would he let me fall so hard with my hobby of passion - horses? HE WOULDN'T. And THAT, my friend, is totally and completely what I need to remember. I will hopefully never do anything totally blind or careless like I have in the past, but I should not have so much reservation for the "could happens". Yeah, I could get bucked off and break an arm during a trail ride, but chances are, I'd have a peaceful and relaxing trail ride with no events or injuries.

I also don't need to get caught up in "how good of a rider" I can be. My main goal is to communicate well and be a partner with my horse. I may not be perfect, but if we get along and become as one, I will have reached my goal. I enjoy watching horse and rider connect, and I want to experience that. And the only way to do that is to practice, practice, practice, and learn, learn, learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment